Saturday 19 March 2016

Evaluation Question Three || What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why? - Part One


Firstly, I took a look at dystopian films and their distributers. Film distributers that I noted that would be most likely to distribute my film where: Entertainment One, 20th Century Fox and Warner Bros.

I first looked at Entertainment One after having started to watch The Walking Dead. I noticed similarities between them - even though I have only watched the first episode - due to their modern dystopian setting and the content of the film: horror, sci-fi, action. I researched the distribution company and discovered that Entertainment One distribute the series. After researching them further, I learnt that they have also distributes/produced other dystopian films such as the Divergent films and Enders Game. However, Entertainment One is not a very well known company and therefore would not attract a wide audience.

[Walking Dead]

I then researched 20th Century Fox. 20th Century Fox have done many dystopian films such as the Maze Runner films, the Planet of the Apes films and X-Men: Days of Future Past. The Maze Runner films were a large part of my inspiration for Black Sands. Due to the similarities between the Maze Runner films and Black Sands I think that 20th Century Fox would possibly distribute my film. Unlike Entertainment One, 20th Century Fox is a well known film distribution company and would attract a wider audience. This would mean greater profits for the film as well as greater word of mouth, which could lead to large amounts of people discovering the film.

[The Scorch Trials]

Finally, I researched one of the most famous film distributors: Warner Bros. Warner Bros have distributed many famous dystopian films such as The Book of Eli, Cloud Atlas, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Matrix, Transcendence and V for Vendetta. I think that Warner Bros would be a likely candidate to distribute Black Sands due to the amount of dystopian films that they have distributed. Alike to 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros are a widely known film distribution company and this would attract a large audience as well as the audience of fans of dystopian literature and filmography.

[The Book of Eli]

1 comment:

  1. Could you add to this answer the audience you want your film to reach and how? Would it be a big budget film to be screened in Odeon-type cinemas across the UK and internationally, then released on DVD and distributed through websites such as Netflix, Sky Movies, Amazon Prime, etc?

    ReplyDelete