Thursday 14 January 2016

Further Analysis Of Title Sequences

Recently I have been looked at film openings having now almost finished my two minute film opening 'Black Sands' and am now in the editing process. I decided to take a look at some further films which I have seen or I have heard were good and observe what opening credits they use.


Firstly I looked at the opening sequence of the film 'Crave'. I have not watched this film but whilst looking briefly at the film openings and the nine frame analysis early on in the course I watched the opening. I liked how everything seemed clockwork and animated but I am not taking any inspiration from that. I looked at the credits that were used: screenplay by, story by, produced by, director of photography, edited by and casting by...

This was interesting because my research beforehand with 'The 100' had only showed: starring, guest starring, produced by and executive producers. This therefore gave me some new options as to what I could use in my credits.


The film 'Crimson Peak' similarly had the director first before the film editor, further listing who the music was by, who did the special effects, introducing the cast and then showing the production company before the main title. I could see that this had links with 'Crave' as it seemed to portray the director early on before making its way down slowly to the cast. However, it did show the production company unlike 'Crave' and 'The 100'.


Next, I went on to look at the 2009 interpretation of the English classic 'Sherlock Holmes'. Having watched this film, I know that the credits are fast paced and I find the writing slightly hard to read even though it can be identifiable. From this I decided to use a font that would be easy to read for my target audience. 'Sherlock Holmes' uses the credits: screenplay by, executive producers, co-producer, title, cast, music produced by, music by, visual effects by and production company. In this, I liked the idea of having the screenplay and executive producers before the main title before having the cast follow after the title along with the music and other titles before finishing with the film production company.


I finally took a look at a film which I have had inspiration from for my project since the beginning: 'Moon'. In this example, the actor to portray the protagonist is shown first in the credits before the title of the film. This is then followed by the remaining cast before showing other positions such as: make-up and hair designer, editor, co-producer and director. I like these film credits because they seem simple and are easy to read.

Now it's back to my editing software to continue editing 'Black Sands'.

Pictures from the website Art of the Title

No comments:

Post a Comment